Tips to Protect Your Computer from Harmful Viruses
Viruses and hackers
Viruses are a common problem in computers today. Also, it is a growing threat which many mobile phone companies are facing. Today, protecting yourself from a hacker or a virus is probably the primary thing and the most important thing that you need to do if you don’t want viruses to attack your computer. Statistics show that one new virus is created everyday which means the number of hackers and viruses are growing and your computer can be a target.
Viruses are basically applications which are launched in your operating system in an aim to annoy, torture or harm your computer. Also, several other aims include promotion for certain goods and getting personal information such as passwords to several sites and confidential information such as credit card details.
Tips and things to keep in mind
There are several common tips which should be used in order to protect your computer. These include several things which you need to keep in mind.
- One of these is Surfing the internet safely and carefully. When you surf through the internet, you should avoid certain sites which are suspected to be virus sites. Also, you shouldn’t download applications from irrelevant sites and sources and only authorized sites should be trusted while downloading sites. Some of the most suspected virus sites include online gaming and social networking sites.
- Another thing which you need to keep in mind is that you shouldn’t open any attachments from unknown senders. This is why there is a junk folder in mailing services. Several hackers send mails with interesting titles and a most common type of fraud is a mail regarding a lottery win. Usually, the receiver opens the mail and downloads the attachment is likely to be a harmful virus.
- Thirdly and most importantly, you need to have an antispyware, antimalware or an antivirus application installed in your computer. This is the primary step that you should do and this is a reason why many new computers have paid antivirus applications preinstalled in them. These applications are designed to warn you and protect you from potential viruses and only paid applications should be used as the free ones are just not that good enough in order to get you a 100% protection. Only one antivirus should be used and using more than 1 antivirus can be a problem. There are a lot of people who use more than 1 antivirus and this can result in conflicts between the two. Firewall is another important feature and you need to keep your firewall switched on all the time, even if certain applications recommend switching of the firewall.
- Another thing that you should do is to scan all external hardware devices as USBs are the most easily affected parts in a computer. Therefore, you need to scan all the external hardware before opening them in order to prevent unauthorized access over your computer.
- Lastly, you should look for signs if your computer has been affected by a virus. Several symptoms include slow performance, opening of unusual sites and missing files. If you find any such symptom, you should immediately scan your computer by a virus scanner and remover.
Crystal J. Briscoe is from . Looking for help? Let’s take advantage of Exams Expert self paced training and pass your IT exams on first try.
One of the important things to consider when buying a new printer is the Printer toner cartridges price, many times the printer will be cheap but its toner cartridges might be very expensive.
If you are into mining, no matter if it is gold, coal, heavy or light mining, when lookin for you should always consider to compare new mining equipment cost to costs.
For a slow PC or to correct most of the errors on your PC, you should try the and get your PC speed back.
These Christmas gift baskets and holiday gift ideas make great presents.
If you own an iPad and you are asking yourself than you just have to read this . Discover the full potential of your iPad.
Online education is also a great invention which comes with the help of information technology and online degree programs.